Saturday, July 24, 2010

The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache in a deck of cards. Just Saying.

As college life approaches (44 days to be exact) I'm discovering something about myself. I have always been independent, granted. When I was younger and at one summer camp or another, all of the kids would be ready to go home, except me. Sorry mom and dad, you're eldest child wants to be on her own for another week and a half. As the realization that I am going to be "on my own" sinks in, I am beginning to hate, no LOATHE, being told what to do. I want to make my own decisions, my own mistakes, with no input from anyone else. Now this is "normal" by the world's standards. This is stupid by my parents (and in most ways yes it is). However this is what is happening to me. I feel like I am allowed to do anything I want...

Mostly everyone goes through this "phase" in life. One wants to naturally follow the desires of their heart despite consequences. Its natural instinct I suppose. But as we go through these phases, we come to a shocking conclusion that not everything we want is good for us.

Wow Simone, thanks for taking us through what we already know. Stick with me here. Ok, so let's throw Christianity into the mix. A majority of people see faith, or the call to follow Jesus, as a list of "dos" and "dont's". A kind of "Well, I'm not supposed to do this, but that should be ok...I think..."

It wasn't until I was further along in my walk with Christ that I realized something...In my friendships, I don't treat my friends a certain way because I have to, or am obligated. I do it because I care about them, and I want to do nice things for them to make them happy. Our relationship with God is the same way. It is BECAUSE of my love for Christ I should want to do what is pleasing to Him. Not to follow a set of rules.

I was reading my Bible the other day, and came across this little bit:

"You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'- but not everything is helpful. You say, 'I am allowed to do anything'- but not everything is beneficial." 1 Corinthians 10:23


Paul here is acknowledging that we can do "anything we want", but that doesn't mean what we do is always good for us. Things happen in our lives, we get put into situations. We have choices that will, or will not, lead us astray depending on our decision. My Bible has this side comment that has stuck with me all week...

You do not have time for anything that would make this world more attractive, dull your desire for prayer, take away your appetite for Bible study, or keep you from Christian fellowship. Instead, look for things that will benefit and build your Christian character.


WOW. It's so true. Our time on this earth, or 90 years or so, is not that short in the grand scheme of things. When we decide to enter into a relationship with the Lord, we have this "coming of age", we have this new found responsibility if you will. It's because of my love for Christ I should want to do things for Him. I should honor Him with what I choose to do.

This week I challenge you to exam your life. Examine what you're into, what takes up the majority of your time, what you turn to in times of trouble for comfort. Why do you like that? Why do you do that? What are your motives behind your choices. You can determine for yourselves if you like the answers.

Christ is in the middle of my situation, of my life.
Is He in yours? Should He be?
Sim

No comments:

Post a Comment